From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] HDEPEND (host dependencies for cross-compilation) for EAPI 5?
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 07:31:32
1 On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:19:45 +0200
2 Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
3 > So, let's say that I only want to apply a filter function against the
4 > buildtime dependencies, in that case I'd need to parse *all* the
5 > dependencies anyway?
6
7 Yes, and? If your dependency parser's time isn't "so tiny it makes
8 absolutely no difference compared to the filesystem access time needed
9 to get the metadata in the first place" then you're doing something
10 severely wrong.
11
12 And if we are going the "parser time" route, then given the heavy
13 intersection between build and run dependencies, the overall amount of
14 data to be processed in the common case that all dependencies are
15 required is smaller with unified DEPENDENCIES.
18 Ciaran McCreesh