From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optional Package Dependencies for netscape-flash -> libflashsupport
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:09:56
1 On Fri, 2007-11-05 at 13:52 -0600, Jim Ramsay wrote:
2 > Thomas Rösner wrote:
3 > > Jim Ramsay wrote:
4 > > > [snip]
5 > > > Have netscape-flash with IUSE="vanilla" (by default it is off),
6 > > > which when enabled will not pull in libflashsupport.
7 > > >
8 > >
9 > > I don't quite see why this is necessary? Or why you do have this
10 > > discussion?
11 >
12 > I started this discussion to find out the best way to add
13 > libflashsupport to netscape-flash for users who want the extra features
14 > that it offers.
15 >
16 > > > This meets the following goals:
17 > > >
18 > > > 1) It makes it easy for "regular" users to get netscape-flash with
19 > > > any additions required by any global USE flags in exactly one step:
20 > > > - emerge netscape-flash
21 > > >
22 > >
23 > > So, in netscape-flash:
24 > > RDEPEND="
25 > > ssl? ( foo/libflashsupport )
26 > > pulseaudio? ( foo/libflashsupport )
27 > > esd? ( foo/libflashsupport )
28 > > oss? ( foo/libflashsupport )
29 > > "
30 > > and IUSE="ssl pulseaudio esd oss gnutls" in libflashsupport (which, as
31 > > already said, has it's own ebuild)?
32 >
33 > Yes, I considered this, it is option (2) in the original post in this
34 > thread. However, I do not believe this is the best solution. Consider
35 > the case where:
36 > - A user has 'ssl' disabled globally
37 > - A user sees that netscape-flash now has 'ssl' support, so he/she
38 > enables 'ssl' just for the netscape-flash ebuild.
39 > - The ebuild would then install libflashsupport, but do so without
40 > actually adding ssl support, which would be quite frustrating to the
41 > user, and probably generate unnedded bug traffic.
42 >
43 > It would be much more clear to only use the ssl USE flag when it
44 > actually affects ssl support.
45
46 The solution to this is use-based deps.. The short term workaround is to
47 use built_with_use.
50 Olivier Crête
51 tester@g.o
52 Gentoo Developer