From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Regarding the State of PaX in the tree
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 12:32:11
1 On 4/16/18 5:14 AM, Hanno Böck wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I honestly don't see how it would be feasible to maintain a feature
5 > that the developers maintaining it have access to.
6
7 I think you're missing a negation in there. Point well taken though.
11 > I get that this whole pax-thing embodies a huge part of Gentoo history
12 > and it may feel hard for some to let it go. But things are how they are.
13
14 I agree, and we'll have it in our history if hardened-sources ever comes
15 back. The only machinery we should keep is install-xattrs which grew
16 out of the integration of xattr PaX markings but is useful beyond just PaX.
19 > Regarding the fork states: I followed up on minipli's fork, which
20 > tried to maintain newer patches of grsec for LTS kernels, but that
21 > essentially stopped after KPTI/meltdown/retpoline. From what I know
22 > there's no public grsec patch with kpti or any spectre fixes, thus I
23 > would very much say you're safer these days with an upstream kernel.
26 Correct. I would not use the old hardened-sources or minipli's fork on
27 any production server.
28
29 > I think the only realistic way this support can be upheld would be if
30 > some people who have access to the grsec sources commit to making sure
31 > that it is maintained.
32
33 Upstream has never responded to any email I sent them. I had a brief
34 discussion with spender when the decision came down, and he gave me what
35 I interpreted as an "I'm sorry this is going to adversely affect you but
36 it has to be this way."
40 > There's also another question related to this: What's the future for
41 > Gentoo hardened?
42 > From what I can tell hardened consists of:
43 > * the things that try to make it compatible with grsec/pax
44 > (more or less obsolete).
45 > * things that are now in default profiles anyway (aslr, stack
46 > protector).
47 > * things that probably should be in default profiles (relro, now linker
48 > flags)
49 > * -fstack-check, which should eventually be replaced with
50 > -fstack-clash-protection (only available in future gcc's) and that
51 > should probably also go into default profiles.
52 > * Furthermore hardened disables some useful features due to their
53 > incompatibility with pax (e.g. sanitizers).
54 >
55 > So it's stuff that either is obsolete or probably should be a candidate
56 > for main profiles. Maybe we should strive for "hardened-by-default".
59 You're forgetting selinux. Most of Zorry's work has made it into gcc
60 and is now being enabled by our default toolchain. Some kernel features
61 have also been improved upstream. With upstream carrying a lot of the
62 work we did, I think 'hardened-by-default' minus selinux should be the
63 goal of Gentoo.
66 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
67 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
68 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
69 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
70 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA