From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Sam James <sam@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting on 2022-02-13
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 07:59:39
1 >>>>> On Wed, 09 Feb 2022, Sam James wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 09 Feb 2022 08:18:07 +0100
4 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5
6 >> There is no special time period for making such proposals; future EAPI
7 >> bugs can be filed at any time. Preferably, they should be filed early,
8 >> because we've had very bad experience with including last-minute
9 >> features.
10
11 > Agreed on the latter point, but this doesn't mean a simple courtesy
12 > notice would be problematic.
13
14 > Not everyone will be aware EAPI 9 is in the works; in particular, it's
15 > useful for our downstreams to know and possibly suggest any improvements
16 > given they're not likely to be as aware of day-to-day developments in
17 > Gentoo, and it's useful as a final poke to notify people that if indeed
18 > they feel something should be in the next EAPI (or "soon"), they should
19 > file a bug and so on.
20
21 > I am not saying any such requests must be accepted for EAPI 9. But
22 > engaging with the community with a notice isn't a bad thing?
23
24 > Someone could easily think the next EAPI is years away and therefore
25 > feel no urgency to flesh out their (possibly very simple) idea or
26 > improvement.
27
28 *shrug* The item is in the Council meeting agenda which is sent to the
29 gentoo-dev-announce mailing list, so people should be aware?
30
31 Anyway, I am cross-posting this to -dev and I include my original
32 message [0] below. (Sorry for the noise; I still think this is sort of
33 redundant.)
34
35 Ulrich
36
37 [0] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/7d63f1d8d52e876a9fa8374d816e7e7f
38
39 | As I had announced in the January meeting, I'd ask the Council to
40 | pre-approve the list of features for EAPI 9, as listed here:
41 |
42 | https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Future_EAPI/EAPI_9_tentative_features
43 |
44 | - Eclass revisions [1]
45 | - EAPI of profiles defaults to repository EAPI [2]
46 | - Allow comments in profile parent files [3]
47 | - econf: Ensure proper end of string in configure --help output [4]
48 |
49 | This will be an EAPI with few new features, and its motivation is mainly
50 | to have eclass revisions. The second and third feature will affect only
51 | profiles, and the fourth feature is effectively a bug fix.
52 |
53 | There were also ideas about no longer exporting A (or alternatively, any
54 | variables) to the ebuild environment [5], but nobody has come forward
55 | with a concrete proposal yet. So, IMHO it will need more discussion and
56 | won't be ready for EAPI 9; developers who have asked for the feature may
57 | consider leading that discussion. IIUC, these would be the TeX and Go
58 | maintainers.
59 |
60 | [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/806592
61 | [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/806181