From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x86-fbsd keyword in main tree?
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:37:34
1 Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 10:20:33 -0500
3 > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
6 >>Basically portage expands $ARCH into use ( so
7 >>x86-fbsd has ARCH x86, and would get "x86" in use, which IMHO, isn't
8 >>that horrible ). However, you also don't get x86-fbsd shoved into
9 >>USE, so you have to inject it elsewhere, and then users could do
10 >>something stupid like -x86-fbsd in make.conf, and unset their ARCH
11 >>flag = bad.
14 > The profiles currently in the overlay set ARCH=x86-fbsd. Whether that's
15 > right or not is another debate, but it invalidates that particular
16 > problem.
17
18 The problem being that your ARCH (architecture) IS x86, just as
19 ppc-macos's architecture is ppc, and there may be patches that apply to
20 both sets equally, and conversely things that apply to only linux.
21
22 Now if GLEP47 is approved, then the point is moot ( x86 implies
23 x86-linux, or whatever the corresponding keyword is ).
24
25 If this is the tract we are going to head in I need to change the docs
26 to reflect what ARCH really means.
27
28 At present in man portage:
29 ARCH Architecture type (x86/ppc/hppa/etc...).
30 PROFILE_ARCH
31 Distinguish machines classes that have the same ARCH. All
32 sparc machines have ARCH=sparc but set this to either 'sparc32'
33 or 'sparc64'.
34
35 Ciaran had suggested pushing PROFILE_ARCH into USE, although that
36 implies that x86? = ARCH x86 and not necessarily 'x86-linux' since
37 anything running on x86 would have ARCH=x86.
38
39 While I think the above is the 'proper' way to do things, it would
40 require a massive migration of ebuilds in the tree, and no one has
41 volunteered for that task, as well as making sure anything that uses
42 'x86' in this case runs on everything running on x86..it becomes quite
43 complicated, even if it is the most flexable.
44
45 Regardless, I'd like to reach a conclusion about this, was GLEP 47
46 submitted to the council for the next meeting?
47
48 -Alec Warner
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list