From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc-0.5.1 arrived in the tree
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 00:05:59
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 09 October 2009 13:57:07 Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
3 >
4 >> As some of you have waited long for this to happen, sys-apps/openrc-0.5.1
5 >> is there.
8 > btw, i didnt thank you for handling this. so thanks. uNF.
9 > -mike
12 I'm really, really late in on this thread, but just in case anyone wants
13 to work on some docs for this, the big picture change here seems to be
14 that Roy is very strongly driving down the route that his dhcpcd project
15 should start to handle nearly all configuration of interfaces. Now this
16 is quite an interesting approach and you have a whole bunch of hook
17 scripts that allow you to control quite a lot of stuff as interfaces
18 come up and down
19
20 I believe the reason he is dropping the old network scripts is
21 complexity of code rather than a statement that they weren't useful. I
22 rather hope that the final outcome will be a new, but simpler version of
23 what we currently have (with simpler code) - the logic being that dhcpcd
24 will remove much of the current configuration required... (perhaps)
25
26 So right now the "new" network scripts are roughly "bring your own
27 interface up", and then the idea is dhcpcd takes over and finishes the
28 job (the emphasis here is that you only need to bring the interface up,
29 not much else)
30
31 Dunno, seems like an interesting change which is only 3/4 implemented so
32 far - lets see where it goes from here. Certainly the new dhcp daemon
33 is rather spiffy though and well worth checking out (top tip is
34 basically to disable the dhcp module in openrc and/or ensure that dhcpcd
35 is started well before any networking scripts, wierd things happen
36 otherwise)
37
38 Final tip seems to be that there are actually a lot of openrc docs, but
39 they are all man pages. If you don't realise this then you will not
40 find a lot of info on the web and feel rather disappointed...
41
42 Hope this helps someone?
43
44 Ed W