From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for late/slow stabilizations
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:21:26
1 On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 18:54 +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:47:49AM -0400, Olivier Crête wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 18:04 +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 > > > Moreover, slow arches introduce another problem as well. If a package is
5 > > > marked stabled for their arch, but this package is quite old, and they fail to
6 > > > stabilize a new version, we ( as maintainers ) can't drop the very old
7 > > > ( and obsolete ) version of this package because we somehow will break
8 > > > the stable tree for these arches. How should we act in this case?
9 > > > Keep the old version around forever just to say that "hey, they do have
10 > > > a stable version for our exotic arch".
11 > >
12 > > I'd propose waiting a bit longer than 30 days.. Maybe 90 days, and then
13 > > just drop the old ebuild. These arches will slowly lose stable keywords
14 > > until their stable tree gets to a size that they can manage. And
15 > > everyone will be winners. That said, when dropping the old keywords, you
16 > > have to be careful to drop the stable keyword on all dependencies too so
17 > > as to not drop break the tree for them.
18 > >
19 > When dropping an old *stable* ebuild, which in most cases this will be the
20 > only stable ebuild that these arches will have for this packages, the
21 > next world update will be ugly since there will be no *stable *
22 > candidates for that package anymore. In this case, stable users will
23 > start filling package.keywords leading to ~testing migration. So I am
24 > not sure if this is the correct approach to deal with this but I can't
25 > think of anything else
26
27 That's ok. That way those users will know that no one from the arch team
28 maintains that packages and they will know it has a lower level of QA.
29 And the users will be able to make a choice. Instead of pretending that
30 it is maintained.
33 Olivier Crête
34 tester@g.o
35 Gentoo Developer