From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC]: Proxy-maintainer project
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:04:43
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:29:56PM +0200, Markos Chandras wrote:
> Dear fellow developers, > > A new project is about to start so I am requesting your feedback > > The primary goal of the Proxy Maintainers[1] project is to create and maintain > relationships between developers and users in order to ensure packages in the > Gentoo tree stay up to date. This involves a few main tasks: > > > [...] > > 1) Should we use a new overlay? A new branch on sunrise? or work ebuilds in > Gentoo bugzilla?I think the latter is the best
IMO, the best route would be to start with-in Gentoo Bugs, then slowly move each contributor to a proxy-maintainer overlay. This overlay would not have a review process for ebuilds, meaning that every contributor that has passed the first stage (by submitting a few ebuilds in bugzilla) will be granted access. that way users will: * get experience on actually committing stuff to a tree * learn how to use tools like repoman and git (think of the future ;)) it will also be better for us. moving packages from the overlay to tree will be simpler, also tracking versions and package status will be easier.
> 2) I think an email alias is not needed We can "monitor" maintainer-wanted/- > needed alias if needed. What do you think?
If we go with the new overlay, I think we'll need an alias where the users can ask for help and talk about their packages.
Thats not a bad idea. Another solution would be to assign the bugs to proxy-maintainers@g.o. -- Alex Alexander :: wired Gentoo Developer