From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help with category for Authenticator
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 15:01:47
1 On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 09:32:29 -0500 Alexander Trotsenko wrote:
2 > Hello, guys!
3 >
4 > I tried asking this question in #gentoo-proxy-maint IRC and I was told I
5 > should venture for gentoo-dev mailing list.
6 >
7 > So I introduced a new package into Gentoo, Authenticator
8 > (https://github.com/bilelmoussaoui/Authenticator). I placed it under
9 > gnome-extra. However, shortly after the commit, gnome-extra guy said it
10 > does not belong there and I am supposed it to move somewhere else. There
11 > is a bug that touches this subject https://bugs.gentoo.org/663820.
12 >
13 > I currently consider to move it to app-crypt. Some folks also suggested
14 > net-misc as a reasonable destination. I wonder if I could contact
15 > "maintainers" so to say of those categories to make sure they are
16 > willing to accept authenticator within their category.
17 >
18 > What's the best way to handle this situation? Also, if somebody wants to
19 > suggest yet another category, speak up!
20
21 I suggest the system-auth category.
22
23 Why? It is always good to look where similar applications belong.
24 Authenticator is basicall 2FA/OATH GUI, and oath-toolkit is in
25 system-auth, most yubikey stuff is there as well.
26
27 And now look in sys-auth/metadata.xml:
28
29 The sys-auth category contains applications and libraries to support
30 authentication and authorization facilities.
31 Here belongs PAM modules, NSS modules and login apps.
32
33 Authenticator fits here perfectly as an application to support
34 authentication and authorization facilities.
35
36 Best regards,
37 Andrew Savchenko