From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Perl Modules and 'make test'
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:23:05
1 First off, if this has been discussed already, please point me to any mailing
2 list archive you know about, I couln't find one with gentoo-dev.
3
4 My question is, why there is a perl-module_src_test() function in
5 perl-module.eclass when it is never used. I just experienced what can happen
6 if you just trust emerge. I merged perlmagick. Unfortunately when loading the
7 Perl::Magick module I get complaints about undefined symbol: png_get_io_ptr.
8 A simple make test would have shown that right at compilation time.
9
10 We have this wonderful test feature of perl modules, why don't we use them?
11 Ever heard of unit tests and what they can do to software developement? Now
12 we have them right at our fingertips for perl modules and don't use them? Is
13 there any reason why we don't execute make test with every merge? I'd be glad
14 about any feedback on this.
17 Alex
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list