From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 4.7 unmasking
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:39:05
1 On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 25/02/13 23:21, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> My point was just that:
4 >> 1. No, the fact that entire packages fail to build/operate using
5 >> -ffast-math is not a valid bug.
6 >
7 > From your email the message was the opposite, maybe a not got lost?
8
9 I think that I must be cursed with some kind of cloud of
10 misunderstanding when I write or something.
11
12 This is what I'm saying:
13 If you run CFLAGS="-ffast-math" emerge <foo> then you get to keep the pieces.
14
15 If you run emerge foo, and the upstream build system happens to use
16 -ffast-math on a single module and it has been working for 10 years
17 and GCC 4.7 breaks it, then maybe there is something to it. Certainly
18 I support that this is something that the gcc team and the package
19 maintainer should work out - just because upstream does it doesn't
20 mean that it is right.
21
22 > That means that if the upstream cflags do not work (anymore?) with
23 > certain compilers we should notify them. Seems sensible to do.
24
25 I don't think we're really disagreeing here...
26
27 Rich