From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] python versioned libraries or not
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 04:32:26
1 Dear all,
2
3 I have only one python-2.7 on my system. Simple and stupid.
4
5 After boost ebuild is converted to python-r1, libboost_python.so is
6 renamed to libboost_python-2.7.so. This is all cool about python-r1 for
7 multiple python implementation support.
8
9 At the same time, I don't need this feature. I have a couple of
10 Jamroot's which append "-lboost_python" to LDFLAGS, and I have to
11 manually specify "-lboost_python-2.7". Moreover, libraries depending on
12 boost.python, e.g. Boost.NumPy[1], searches for boost_python and
13 boost_python-mt only. I am forced to patch the build system to pass
14 "-${PYVAR}" to it, which is tedious.
15
16 I am looking for a way out. Candidates are,
17
18 1. scan all python versioned libraries and symlink them to
19 unversioned one. Question: hints to do it systematically in
20 portage? Is there a helper available like python-exec?
21
22 2. python-single-r1 is ready for use, but it requires manipulating
23 the boost ebuild to change from python-r1, if I want a
24 python-single-r1 blessed boost. Question: How about merging
25 python-single-r1 with python-r1 and controlling by a global USE
26 flag "python-single". When "python-single" is set, all ebuilds
27 inheriting python-r1 behaves as if being with python-single-r1,
28 so that all python versionings on executables and libraries are
29 disabled.
30
31 3. or something I missed
32