From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 20:56:52
1 On 2019-12-05 21:31, David Seifert wrote:
2 >> On another topic, I'd prefer for python 2.7 not to be removed from
3 >> gentoo. Tons of code still uses it.
4 >>
5 > Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you on this.
6 >
7 > We're removing Java too from Gentoo (more implicitly than explicitly),
8 > because the Maven/Gradle ecosystem doesn't seem to scale. There's tons
9 > of code that uses java and java binaries too, and yet we're removing
10 > it. Python 2 is EOL in a few weeks. We have also removed Qt4 and lost a
11 > number of useful applications with it. At some point, we're not going
12 > to maintain a dead interpreter anymore.
13
14 For the records: Nobody in this discussion or IRC chat said
15
16 > Keep Python 2 forever.
17
18 It's about timing. From my POV and I read
19
20 > Tons of code still uses it.
21 ^^^^^
22
23 the same, there is no need to mask any Python 2 stuff _today_.
24
25 Especially when new Python project lead sent a mail [1] to this list few
26 weeks ago stating that there will be a _new_ last Python 2 release in
27 April 2020 (120 days away!).
28
29 Now please explain to me and any Gentoo user depending on Py2-only
30 software why you are taking actions 120(!) days in advance.
31
32 Again, nobody wants to keep Python 2 forever but starting to kill
33 *working* software 120 days in *advance* deserves at least an honest
34 justification.
37 PS: And given that a release in April won't break the next day, we are
38 actually talking about more than 120 days in advance. Security argument
39 is not valid because if there will be any serious vulnerability in Py2
40 found after this release (which will be surprising after so many years)
41 you can expect backports because other distributions still have to
42 support Py2 two more years at minimum.
45 [1]
46 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/d00a956180ab7df980ac5642e3abc179
50 Regards,
51 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
52 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5