From: Anthony de Boer <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Towards less insecure permissions on gentoo
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:50:29
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > If you currently are a maintainer of a port that installs files 4755(I
3 > hope you all know who you are) please try to get your port to install
4 > 4711 or with even less privs. However if your program is a setid
5 > executable script then you should leave the permissions alone.
6
7 4511, perhaps?
8
9 When something is installed by a packaging system, and will be stomped at
10 the next upgrade without consideration for local mods, I prefer to install
11 with all writable bits off. This is more of a concern for those
12 oh-so-easily-tweakable scripts than for binaries, and at least encourages
13 the superuser to stop and think before making a change, but especially in
14 the suid case the more protection the better.
15
16 Likewise for installed nonexecutables (terminfo and the like), 444 rather
17 than 644.
20 Anthony de Boer
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list