From: Michele Balistreri <brain@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re [gentoo-dev] Interest Chek: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:53:24
1 What about separating them for the phases of the build process? i mean
2 thing like:
3 /etc/make.conf.d/fetch
4 /etc/make.conf.d/pkg_configure
5 /etc/make.conf.d/pkg_build
6
7 Or it could become an XML file with such section (and eventually
8 more/different), i think the user want to configure the building
9 process and this could be a more intuitive way to find what you need.
10
11 Seemant Kulleen wrote:
12 > Hi All,
13 >
14 > Before I go and invalidate a bug, I thought I might take the idea
15 > around
16 > here to see if it has any merit in terms of usefulness/interest.
17 >
18 > The idea stems from the fact that etc-updating a make.conf file can be
19 > a
20 > bit of a stressful event. And as portage's set of features grows, so
21 > too
22 > will the size of the make.conf file. I get the impression that the
23 > make.conf file is a little hard to parse, with the huge comment blocks
24 > etc
25 > etc. So my proposal is this: a make.conf.d directory which contains
26 > files
27 > for each section of the make.conf: use, flags, fetch, packagevars.
28
29 Michele Balistreri
30 Gentoo Developer, KDE Team
31 Rome, Italy