From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is Gentoo dying?
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 08:43:27
1 On 04/04/10 03:48, Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 > On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:16:32 +0200
3 > Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> - Our formerly outstanding documentation still is somewhat maintained,
6 >> but that's it. I haven't seen any new additions (both to our docs, but
7 >> also to our docs-team) for years. People are constantly asking for a
8 >> documentation wiki, but ...
9 >
10 > Thanks for sh**ting on my efforts. There are lots of visible changes, and I make a point of getting the word out when a new guide turns up in /doc/. I blog about the new docs I add, and I spend awhile working with contributors to make sure we get good stuff out there and that it's constantly updated -- the Openbox guide Nate Zachary wrote comes to mind. I'm also always working with developers who are writing docs in their spare time, coaching 'em through the process, assisting with GuideXML, taking patches, *and* creating patches and updates for devs who are posting documents in /proj/ and in their personal devspace. But I guess that doesn't mean anything to you.
11 >
12 > Oh yes, and I spend hours each week constantly updating docs based on the inflow of bugs, forum reports, and I constantly re-read each one and improve stuff where I can on-the-fly. Not everything has a bug tracker, but the end result is still a visible difference in the stuff you see on the website.
15 See, that's the problem.
16 *You* are doing a good job. *We* as a team/community/ant colony aren't.
17
18 The visible rate of change has slowed down, and from your reply I get
19 the feeling that there are also fewer people working on docs than in the
20 past. So how do we improve the situation? What needs to be done so that
21 you could disappear for a month or two without affecting progress
22 because there are enough other motivated people sharing the workload?
23
24 My long-term goal is still to make me redundant. That way I can take a
25 break whenever I get frustrated and I can focus on new things whenever I
26 find something new and shiny to attract my attention...