From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Feature request: package.use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.force
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:32:50
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 26/04/12 06:03 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
5 >
6 > Dear all,
7 >
8 > I'd like to suggest we introduce the following very useful feature,
9 > as soon as possible (which likely means in the next EAPI?):
10 >
11 > * two new files in profile directories supported,
12 > package.use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.force * syntax is
13 > identical to package.use.mask and package.use.force * meaning is
14 > identical to package.use.mask and package.use.force, except that
15 > the resulting rules are ONLY applied iff a stable keyword is in
16 > use
17 >
18 > Rationale: Often single features are "not ready for production
19 > yet", but the remaining package with that feature disabled would be
20 > a perfect candidate for stabilization. Right now this can be solved
21 > by * masking the useflag, which then makes the feature inaccessible
22 > even for ~arch * masking the useflag for exactly one package
23 > revision, which is hell to maintain * or introducing different
24 > package revisions with/without the useflag, which is also a mess.
27 I would think, personally, that masking the useflag on a per-package
28 basis would be better than this new feature -- it is more work as it
29 needs to be done for all the different ~arch packages the use flag
30 applies to, but it would mean that when a given ~arch version bump has
31 that feature ready one wouldn't lose the mask on the previous ~arch
32 versions. It would also mean (i assume) that this flag would be
33 masked if that version went stable too (although in reality I would
34 expect this wouldn't ever occur).
35
36 There are potentially a lot of package entries to manage if this were,
37 say, a flag like 'introspection'.. however, i'm sure maintaining this
38 could be scriptable couldn't it?
42 > Where this would (have been|be) useful: * we had for a long time
43 > different revisions of subversion with/without kde useflag *
44 > cups-1.4 had the infamous libusb backend triggered by USE=usb *
45 > cups-1.5 has optional systemd support via a systemd useflag, which
46 > pulls in non-stabilized systemd as dependency...
49 I'm not sure that I'm following the cups examples here. For cups-1.5
50 even if it were stable, if someone actually wanted to use systemd on
51 their system and unmasked/keyworded it (while running stable
52 everything else) I don't see why this would be an issue that would
53 need this new masking feature (unless IUSE="+systemd", which probably
54 shouldn't be the case anyways).
55
56 Ian