From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1 ready to go stable on all archs
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:09:00
1 Lance Albertson posted <1097902422.1755.6.camel@mirage>, excerpted below,
2 on Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:53:42 -0500:
3
4 > I know I'm a little late in responding to this thread, but I just found
5 > out that 6.8.0-r1 breaks xinerama/dual+ display support for anyone running
6 > the Radeon chipset.
7 >
8 > I'm curious, are there any Radeon users out there running Xinerama that
9 > aren't having problems with this version?
10
11 I'm running it here, with a Radeon 9200SE AGP dual output card, no
12 problems. That's using the libreware drivers, and dual monitors, both
13 running 2048x1536, oriented one above the other for a 2048x3072 virtual
14 desktop.
15
16 Further, I've run both the standard dual adaptor/monitor/screen xorg.conf
17 (my default setup), and tried the new "MergedFB" mode as well. I ended up
18 going back to standard Xinerama mode however, because MergedFB doesn't
19 handle a larger than 2048x2048 in 3D accelerated mode anyway, and while it
20 does handle a large enough 2D mode, the inflexibility of having a single
21 unified resolution list as opposed to being able to handle each screen
22 resolution separately, coupled with not being able to do 3D anyway due to
23 my chosen resolutions, meant the standard Xinerama mode was the better
24 solution for me.
25
26 OTOH, I haven't recently tried running with two separate video cards
27 entirely. I had tried back with kernel 2.4/XFree, and couldn't get that
28 to work, as it'd never seem to initialize the second card correctly, altho
29 I know what it's like working, as I had it working with an NVidia dual
30 output card and their proprietaryware drivers, using an old 4MB S3 Virge
31 PCI as the second card driving the third monitor. Just couldn't get the
32 libreware Radeon drivers to do it, tho. Anyway, maybe two physical cards
33 was working with kernel 2.6 and xorg, and isn't now, as I haven't tried
34 two physical cards, only two outputs on the same card, which as I said,
35 works, here.
36
37 It also may be that I'm running AMD64 and yes it does work on that, but
38 maybe it doesn't on legacy 32-bit x86, or whatever other arch you may be
39 using. (Of course, another variable is that I'm running gcc-3.4, which is
40 stable on amd64. Maybe it works with gcc-3.4, but not with 3.3 or
41 whatever. And.. yes I DID verify I'm running xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1, so we're
42 talking about the same thing there.)
46 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
47 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
48 Benjamin Franklin
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list