From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Masterplan for solving LINGUAS problems
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 02:41:48
1 Daniel Campbell posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 10:31:22 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > I think this idea has some potential, but would there be a way for a
4 > user to choose L10N *or* INSTALL_MASK instead of both? If I understand
5 > correctly, a person who wanted all of their system to be en_US only, but
6 > wanted to take part in translation of some other project, would need to
7 > add the other locales directly to L10N, then somehow mask them out for
8 > other packages. Or the reverse: leave L10N="en_US" or something, and
9 > somehow enable other languages in that specific package.
10 >
11 > Is there a package-level option for this? Users can set their locales in
12 > /etc/locale.gen, and that handles things globally, but what about the
13 > user that doesn't want to include that for all of their packages? This
14 > seems like an all-or-nothing thing, lacking in granularity. If I'm
15 > wrong, please clarify so I can understand better.
16
17 For portage at least, pretty much all vars, including the proposed L10N,
18 can be set per-package using /etc/portage/package.env and the files it
19 points to in /etc/portage/env/.
20
21 (The package.env method works during the python phase as well, but is
22 primarily for direct variable setting and isn't as flexible as the older
23 /etc/portage/env/cat-egory/pkg/file method, which only works during the
24 bash/ebuild phase, but exposes the full richness of bash to be used as
25 it's actually bash executing it.)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman