From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 15:37:25
1 > On 2 June 2012 03:12, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 > >> "git cat-file -p $sha" is as close as you can get to commit objects
3 > >> without needing to write your own decompressing wrapper. But it gives
4 > >> the same results.
5 > >
6 > > Now, does the "signed data" also contain the parent sha?
7 > >
8 > > If yes, our discussion about rebasing is moot, because a rebase will in
9 > > every case destroy previous signatures.
10 >
11 > Yes. Which basically means, you *cannot* have both
12 >
13 > a) rebase only merges
14 > and
15 > b) every commit must be signed
16 >
17 > as policies.
20 I would say that this is a very strong argument in favour of allowing merge
21 commits.
24 Andreas K. Huettel
25 Gentoo Linux developer
26 kde, sci, arm, tex, printing