From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Initial python-r1.eclass & distutils-r1.eclass
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:43:23
1 On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:41:47 +0200
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > 1. there is still no way to convert shebangs via python-r1
8
9 What conversion do you expect? The docs say it clearly that the eclass
10 will be extended on request, so please file a clear request what you
11 want with an example use case.
12
13 > 2. there are no equivalent functions to the python_get_* stuff which
14 > are sometimes necessary for broken build systems or test phases
15
16 There is python_export(). I will be happy to extend it / add
17 python_get*() wrappers when someone makes a clear list of what
18 is needed.
19
20 Example use cases will be appreciated again. Good examples will make it
21 possible to choose good variable names.
22
23 > 3. there is no equivalent for python_mod_optimize. Having that in
24 > distutils-r1 does not suffice for non-distutils packages where I might
25 > have to do that stuff manually.
26
27 There is a lot of stuff missing for packages which try to install
28 Python stuff by hand rather than using proper setup. I will be happy to
29 provide more when I know what is actually needed and how it will be
30 used.
31
32 > 5. distutils-r1_rename_scripts does not allow to specify a location
33 > possibly breaking non-standard locations (e.g. games location)
34
35 It's a quick function. Adding additional paths or changing
36 the algorithm won't be hard. Just don't expect me to do random stuff
37 just because someone may want that someday.
38
39 FYI: I've added that mindless games/bin to the paths.
40
41 > 6. How can I make the python dependencies optional, e.g. that
42 > python:3.2 is only pulled in when gtk useflag for this package is set?
43
44 inherit python-r1
45
46 RDEPEND='gtk? ( ${PYTHON_DEPS} )'
47
48 > 7. are we sure now that it's safe to ship the .pyc/.pyo files inside
49 > the package without side-effects?
50
51 There are side effects and they are well known. Still, none of them is
52 an issue important enough to outweigh the benefit.
53
54 > 8. how would I manually generate implementation-suffixed scripts
55 > without distutils-r1?
56
57 You would use the function I would introduce when I got the request
58 filed and potential discussion done. Most importantly, whether there
59 should be a way to call 2to3 on the scripts.
60
61 By the way, did you just request two partial features instead
62 of requesting a way to manually install Python scripts?
63
64 > example: x11-misc/redshift-1.7-r1
65
66 Thanks. I will take a look at that package and see what is necessary to
67 make it buildable with python-r1.
68
69 By the way, do I understand correctly that right now you are building
70 stuff for a random Python implementation and removing it afterwards?
71 I believe that's something really worth fixing.
74 Best regards,
75 Michał Górny