From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: USE=libav as replacement for broken || ( libav:= ffmpeg:= )
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 00:10:13
1 On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Dnia 2015-01-19, o godz. 23:09:55
4 > Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> napisał(a):
5 >
6 > > Why not :
7 > >
8 > > libav? ( media-libs/libav:= )
9 > > ffmpeg? ( media-libs/ffmpeg:= )
10 > >
11 > > + REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( libav ffmpeg )"
12 > >
13 > > I for one would never expect USE=-libav to enable ffmpeg (nor
14 > > USE=-ffmpeg to enable libav FWIW).
15 >
16 > Two reasons:
17 >
18 > 1. Compatibility. USE=ffmpeg is already used for || ( libav ffmpeg ) in
19 > a lot of packages. If we changed the meaning, libav users will end up
20 > switching '-ffmpeg libav' per-package. Ugly.
23 There are only 61 packages with USE="ffmpeg", and quite few of those might
24 reasonably have package.use different from make.conf.
27 > 2. Feature-oriented flags. USE=ffmpeg represents the generic feature,
28 > USE=libav is auxiliary implementation-switch flag. Well, maybe we could
29 > use, say, USE=avcodec to avoid ambiguity but that's a larger change.
32 So, it is then expected to have both (USE="ffmpeg libav") to enable the
33 feature and then select the implementation? That's quite counter-intuitive,
34 and in some cases, there are some significant API differences - it is not
35 just a drop-in "auxiliary implementation".