From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Security Bug Assignment Change
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:49:50
1 On 15.4.2022 4.38, John Helmert III wrote:
2 > Hi all! Currently all security bugs are assigned to security@g.o,
3 > always. This can easily lead to some confusion about who needs to do
4 > something about a given bug; right now this is generally tracked by
5 > whiteboard magic strings that probably not many people outside of the
6 > Security Project understand [1] and this has been a source of
7 > confusion around security bugs for a long time.
8
9 Is there a specific group that has this problem? E.g. inactive
10 developers, proxied maintainers, (dead) projects? Like is this actually
11 a wide-spread problem?
14 > To make it abundantly clear who needs to take action for a given bug,
15 > I propose we move away from the dogma of security@ always being
16 > assigned to security bugs, and instead assign bugs to whoever needs to
17 > take action for the bug. For example, on security bugs that need a
18 > package bumped or cleaned up, the package maintainer would be
19 > assigned. For bugs needing a GLSA, security@ would be assigned.
20 >
21 > As a nice side effect, this would be a step towards making security
22 > bug state discernable outside of the human-maintained and oft-stale
23 > whiteboard. In the long term, a maintainer's security bugs could be
24 > more easily tracked via things like packages.g.o.
25
26 p.g.o already has a "security" tab for maintainers, but the bug listing
27 is pretty ineffective already as-is.
30 > As far as bug handling goes, I see two obvious (though rathor minor)
31 > sticky points:
32 >
33 > - Who do we assign bugs to when a bug is in stabilization
34 > state? The stabilization bug will always be assigned to the
35 > maintainer, but the security bug will be neither actionable by the
36 > maintainer nor security@ until the stabilization is finished.
37 >
38 > - Rarely, we have a security bug that affects multiple packages with
39 > different maintainers (e.g. a package and its -bin variant). Under
40 > this scheme, we would have to always separate bugs by package
41 > maintainer.
42 >
43 > I'm not proposing any change to the Bugzilla product or component, so
44 > security bugs will still be able to be exhaustively enumerated this
45 > way, but any tooling that relies on security bugs always being
46 > assigned to security@ would have to be changed.
47 >
48 > What do you all think?
49 >
50 > [1] https://www.gentoo.org/support/security/vulnerability-treatment-policy.html "Severity Level" section
51
52 I don't mind either way as long as it's really fixing a problem. Just
53 got familiar with the new workflow after most recent change...
54
55 Anyway hope things have gotten better since sending this e-mail, but I
56 fear (assume) people who had these problems aren't actively reading the
57 mailing list either.
58
59 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature