From: srbaker@mysterymachine.ddts.net (Steven R. Baker)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Distribution Name
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:37:38
The "G" (first letter) in Gentoo stands for "GNU".  Also,
	Achim, our lead developer, has the last name "Gottinger".  The
	"G" in Gottinger stands for "GNU".  My last name is "Robbins",
	and the "s" in Robbins stands for "Stallman".  Whenever I type
	a "G", "N", "U" or "S" on my keyboard, you can be sure that I
	do so with full and total reverence towards Richard Stallman
	and the GNU project.  Sometimes, I purposely type the word
	"snug" and tears well up inside me.

It's been a while, Dan.  Nice to see that you have more of a sense of
humour about things now. :)

	Little known fact: Psygnosis US was also located at 675
	Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA.  I worked at Psygnosis for a
	couple of years.  We were on the sixth floor, and the GNU mail
	room was in the basement.  Our warehouse was in the basement.
	We had cool things in our warehouse, like full stock of all
	Psygnosis products, posters, and cool stand-up cardboard
	Lemmings.  In their mailroom?  Two strange women and a bag of
	mail.  My point?  I'll let you try to figure that out.

So GNU has two strange women in their mail room.  At Psygnosis, you
were writing proprietary software, likely under non-disclosure
agreements, writing what *others* told you to write, and the company
had no personality.  If there was a god, she would punish writing
proprietary software and signing NDAs.

	The policy is that we include all the good stuff we can get
	our hands on.  I haven't heard of anyone getting arrested for
	linking python with libreadline.

That's right, because who cares if you are free to do with your
software as you please?