From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk2 use flag must die
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 23:30:41
1 On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 00:53 +0200, foser wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 00:43 +0300, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 > > Delaying GNOME-2.14 for non-GNOME packages using gtk2 USE flag is mildly
4 > > funny to me, too.
5 >
6 > These two things are not related, 2.14 is not delayed whatsoever.
7 > Jakub's call was just to get attention to the bugs and didn't originate
8 > from the gnome team at all.
9 >
10 > > Some two weeks have passed from 2.14 release, I would have expected it
11 > > to be in x86 at least a week ago... but I'm living in a utopian land.
12 >
13 > I don't know where these expectations come from, but we intend to iron
14 > out the major known issues before we put stuff in ~arch . 2 weeks is
15 > rather short for a volunteer team of 2-3 active people for something the
16 > size of gnome. It is the same sort of nonsense we got with earlier
17 > releases, where people expect things to be in stable the day upstream
18 > declares it release day. People seem to expect the impossible, if you
19 > come from Debian the Gentoo cycle seems perfect, but as soon people are
20 > used to Gentoo the complaining starts anew. Get a grip and try to help
21 > out in constructive ways.
22
23 That's what I did, and that's exactly the major part of what you cut out
24 from the reply quotes.
25 It being a blocker is exactly what I read out from the mails, without
26 having found a bug number, which I perhaps lost in all the long thread.
27 It being a _personal_ expectation was written with the notion that it
28 would be as such in an ideal world, with the context of it being
29 possibly blocked due to a USE flag in mind, and it was explicitly
30 expressed as such.
31 I do not see why I am getting such unconstructive replies to my majorly
32 constructive e-mails. Should I cease writing e-mails to gentoo-dev, at
33 the rare times I have something constructive to say?
34
35 Now someone that deals with wxGTK or poEdit feel free to put use the
36 constructive things I said in the thread if it's a good suggestion, and
37 I'll use my time on working on wxGTK instead and upgrading my ~x86
38 system that has GNOME-2.14 ;)
39 Great work it being in ~x86 already, btw!
42 -- Mart Raudsepp
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list