From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:33:19
1 On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:08:58PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > * Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> schrieb:
3 >
4 > > > Well, at least for tar, I've experienced no problem here yet.
5 > > > But: true, it might change between tar versions.
6 > >
7 > > The main offender is the compression program, not tar.
8 >
9 > hmm, I'm exclusively using bzip2 and never had these problems
10 > yet. maybe it depends on the compressor type.
11
12 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0025.html#the-problem-in-detail
13
14 Note also that bzip2 had another change in output after that
15 release- my memory is failing me a bit, but it was roughly a
16 a reduction of their hash size to fix a CVE- either way, same thing,
17 differing output.
18
19 It happens, and further, is a well known potential for compressors.
20
21 ~harring