From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:31:09
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:20:45AM +1300, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 28 March 2012 08:15, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> Then again, Gentoo is about choice.  It just seems like we're
4 > >> presenting users with more choices than makes sense for a newbie.  If
5 > >> there is a choice between something that 99.99% of users will want,
6 > >> and some ancient piece of cruft that still works and is better for
7 > >> 0.01% of the userbase, does that really have to be in the handbook?
8 > >
9 > > Welcome to documentation development. The Gentoo Handbook has always been a
10 > > difficult source for such discussions. If we truely want to provide
11 > > information towards our users on all possible choices, you'll need a totally
12 > > different approach.
13 > >
14 > > I once started (before I left Gentoo, rejoined, left again) on a "complete
15 > > gentoo handbook" that covered much more in greater detail (you'll find the
16 > > last version at
17 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/draft/complete/handbook.xml) but I've
18 > > since moved away from that. Perhaps I should work again on it...
19 > >
20 > > Wkr,
21 > >        Sven Vermeulen
25 > An idea is a javascripty-dynamic-slidey thing that makes more details
26 > and advanced stuff visible to people who want it, so you can adjust
27 > the documentation to suit your skill level.
28
29 Why not just the separate "quick install" guide like we have that lists
30 steps and the handbook if yu want more details?
31
32 William