From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: patrick@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Rethinking virtual/opencl and eselect-opencl
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 05:27:23
1 On Sun, 2020-04-05 at 22:13 +0100, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > On 2020-04-02 15:31, Marek Szuba wrote:
3 >
4 > > 3. Test if downstream applications are happy with the new unified OpenCL
5 > > headers required by the Khronos Group ICD loader and if they are, add
6 > > dev-libs/opencl-icd-loader to virtual/opencl as an alternative to ocl-icd;
7 >
8 > Quick update on this: today I have attempted to rebuild and test various
9 > OpenCL-dependent packages using the unified headers and
10 > dev-libs/opencl-icd-loader. The good news is, they have all been
11 > perfectly happy with them. The bad news is, I actually had to manually
12 > symlink all contents
13 > /usr/lib/OpenCL/vendors/opencl-icd-loader/include/CL/ into
14 > /usr/include/CL/ for this to work because eselect-opencl contains a
15 > hard-coded list of expected vendor header files.
16 >
17 > In other words, it will be necessary to either teach eselect-opencl how
18 > to handle the unified headers or make it possible for it to let the
19 > contents of /usr/include/CL be. Personally I am leaning towards the
20 > latter - it doesn't even handle legacy headers that well (it installs
21 > several versions into /usr/lib/OpenCL/global but in the end offers no
22 > way of switching between them), and in any case even its description
23 > suggests its job is to switch between implementations rather than handle
24 > global headers.
25
26 While at it, is there any chance to rewrite eselect-opencl so that it
27 stops writing into /usr and uses environment approach like eselect-
28 opengl does?
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny