From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla Bug 79337 make repoman complain if DEPEND and RDEPEND are not set.
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:37:01
1 On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 11:25:00PM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > I'd be for having RDEPEND required to be set manually. ;)
3 As would I, actually...
4
5 Granted it's a useful convenience, but it also makes nailing the deps
6 down much harder. Personally down the line, I'd like to see packages
7 that require compilation actually stating the virtual/gcc dep, and
8 RDEPEND="${RDEPEND-${DEPEND}}" kind of screws with that.
11 > But seeing that it would be a huge task and there aren't the resources or
12 > support to do it at this time,
13 Question is which is preferable.
14
15 Changing half the tree is a pita granted and not something to be done
16 drop of the hat, but that doesn't mean can't decide to change how
17 things are done, and work towards it gradually.
18
19 Writing out a helper script wouldn't be too hard, nor would a script
20 that does the actual changes- just lift it from ebuild.sh (RDEPEND and
21 E_RDEPEND are kept seperate till post sourcing).
22
23 > Anyway, not much point in increasing an already overflowing workload at this
24 > point in time.
25
26 I'm mainly interested if people agree with the convenience feature
27 being worthwhile to keep; I don't think so, but I also occasionally
28 have strange ideas :)
29
30 Again, note, if people did agree rdepend=${rdepend-${depend}} was
31 evil, it's not a massive treewide commit to change it; just would
32 require gradually adding explicit rdepend into ebuilds till it's
33 done, then ixnaying the convenience feature. Same type of changes
34 gradually rolled out for use and has's verbosity (making them no
35 longer echo the result)...
36 ~harring