From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 13:09:03
1 Ciaran McCreesh posted on Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:02:58 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 00:04:08 +0000 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Ciaran McCreesh:
5 >> > On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 15:33:27 -0700 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
6 >> > wrote:
7 >> >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_Tags
8 >> >
9 >> > And do what with them? Right now this is a solution without a
10 >> > problem.
11 >> >
12 >> >
13 >> Finding packages. Descriptions are not consistent, categories too
14 >> generic.
15 >
16 > Please explain, with examples, how tags will help with this.
17
18 One classic example in such discussions is kde's kmail and gnome's
19 evolution.
20
21 A package can have only one category so for these, the packager must
22 choose either the appropriate DE category (as with kde-base/kmail) and
23 leave it unlisted in the appropriate functionality category
24 (mail-client), or alternatively, choose the appropriate functionality
25 category (as with mail-client/evolution), and leave it unlisted under the
26 appropriate DE (gnome-base I guess it'd be, since the evolution modules
27 are in gnome-extra).
28
29 But that limitation goes away with tags as a package could have as many
30 tags as people found appropriate, so whatever category the packager
31 chooses, it could have both tags and thus be discoverable in either spot.
32
33 That does imply that at least one set of tags would correspond roughly to
34 categories, tho a single kde tag for example, vs kde-base and kde-misc,
35 would arguably suffice. But tags wouldn't need to be limited to
36 categories...
37
38 The glep should probably be expanded with several examples like that.
39
40 (Tho don't construe this to say that I'm in favor of the idea. I'm
41 neutral in general tho slightly negative as I think there are better ways
42 to spend one's time, but gentoo is volunteers, and volunteers spend more
43 time when they're motivated, so it's not a zero-sum game and if enough
44 people are interested enough to drive it forward, go for it!)
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman