From: Magnus Granberg <zorry@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pre-GLEP for review: mix-in profiles
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 22:17:17
1 måndag 23 januari 2017 kl. 13:56:02 CET skrev Rich Freeman:
2 > On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I've written a short proposal that aims to provide basic infrastructure
4 > > for defining mix-in profiles in Gentoo. I've tried to keep it simple,
5 > > and backwards compatible. The main goal is to be able to start defining
6 > > some mix-ins without having to reinvent the whole profile tree.
7 >
8 > Would it actually make sense to reinvent more of the profile tree
9 > while we're at it? So, have a few categories of mixins like kernel,
10 > arch, and some category that covers really invasive stuff like
11 > hardened/libc/etc?
12 >
13 i think it would make sense to reinvent/split it up to a few categories/mixins
14 like
15 base
16 arch
17 abi
18 libc
19 kernel
20 init/udev
21 desktop
22 server
23 security
24
25 > Those might be 1-of-n selections.
26 >
27 > Then we could have the fluff that sits on top and just set some rules
28 > about what they can do.
29 >
30 > Part of me wonders if some of this could also fit in with the use of
31 > virtuals (think foo-meta virtuals but bigger). A virtual can of
32 > course pull in USE dependencies, and a lot of other stuff. We could
33 > have convenience virtuals that all the profiles pull in by default but
34 > which gets stuff like openssh out of @system.
35 >
36 > I'm only suggesting the last bit to the extent where we see tie-ins to
37 > improve the initial mix-in implementation. A lot of that is probably
38 > an expansion in scope, and to that extent I'm not suggesting that it
39 > needs to be addressed. I just want to think about it broadly at first
40 > to make sure we're not missing something.