From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFD] Adopt-a-package, proxy-maintenance, and other musings
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:02:43
1 On 01/25/2016 02:50 AM, Göktürk Yüksek wrote:
2 > Ian Delaney:
3 >
4 >> 5. At the risk of sounding like Patrick, gentoo lacks some forms
5 >> of documentation pertaining to established proxy maintainers and to
6 >> forms of stats analysis. In discussions, points were raised
7 >> regarding the gathering of stats data re packages' tally of
8 >> downloads and instances of emerging into a gentoo system. Most of
9 >> the desired stats appear to lack any form of tools available to
10 >> gather and report data that would prove helpful in evaluating
11 >> packages of either the m-w or m-n lists.
12 >
13 >> The topic of recruitment and recruiting are tied, but imo, quite
14 >> disparate.
17 > I don't want to go off-topic here too much but this is more than a
18 > missing tools issue. There are privacy concerns regarding the
19 > collection of such information. I recall this proposed idea from
20 > Google Summer of Code:
21 >
22 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2012/Ideas#Package_statistics_reporting_tool
25 This was implemented but never deployed. Data collection would always be
26 optional and off by default. There was even a nice configuration file to
27 select exactly which information is and is not sent.