From: "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 14:45:00
1 On Saturday, May 5, 2007 04:14:25 PM Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > > Currently, there are two news item in the Paludis overlay. Unless
3 > > earlier ones were removed, those two seem to be a fairly small sample
4 > > to deduce anything from.
5 > They were.
6
7 How many news items did you issue? (It's probably easier for you to say
8 instead of me searching the entire history of the overlay. :-) )
9
10 > > Furthermore, GLEP42 states:
11 > > "News items must only be for important changes that may cause serious
12 > > upgrade or compatibility problems. Ordinary upgrade messages and
13 > > non-critical news items should remain in einfo notices."
14 [...]
15 > This is sufficiently important to Paludis users that Paludis users
16 > should see a news item for it.
17
18 Which are those "serious upgrade or compatibility problems" you're trying
19 to avoid? Paludis warned about the change at runtime only. For "serious
20 problems" I'm sure you'd make it error out, wouldn't you?
21
22 > > The real problem with issuing news items for trivial changes is that
23 > > people will just start marking such news items read without really
24 > > reading them or even stop synching news items completely.
25 > This is not a trivial change.
26
27 (Could you please try to argument instead of just making statements?)
28
29 The old configuration format still works. Thus, from a user's point of
30 view, it is a trivial change.
31
32 I agree with you that both from the POV of a Paludis dev as well as that
33 of a Gentoo dev it's not trivial because it allows for better granularity
34 when selecting subsets of packages.
35
36 > > Then, elog and friends would be fully sufficient for informing users
37 > > about such configuration changes - under the circumstances of this
38 > > case at least.
39 > We already know from similar cases that this isn't true.
40
41 Yes, you've been repeating that over and over. At least one example would
42 probably help to understand the point you're trying to make.
43
44 Best regards, Wulf