From: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *IMPORTANT* top-level management structure!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:42:28
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 07.47, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 07:26:32AM +0200, Tony Clark wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 06.04, Jon Portnoy wrote:
4 > > > On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:02:32AM +0200, Tony Clark wrote:
5 > > > > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03.33, Daniel Robbins wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > [snip]
8 > > >
9 > > > > 1. What is Gentoo 1.4. What it may have been intended to be in
10 > > > > January is probably not what it is going to be now. Before you
11 > > > > recruit all and sundry you have to define this as if it isn't defined
12 > > > > everything will fall down and chaos will return. Some basic things I
13 > > > > see is that it needs to be are: gcc3.3 based
14 > > > > glibc2.3.2
15 > > > > openssl0.9.7
16 > > >
17 > > > We can do this if you want to wait another couple of months.
18 > > >
19 > > > Unfortunately, there are some requests to have 1.4 ready for LWESF at
20 > > > the beginning of Augusy
21 > >
22 > > This is just classical, happens everyday type stuff in
23 > > electronics/software companies, espically ones who don't know what they
24 > > are building with clear goals. Marketing keeps moving the requirements
25 > > and dates aren't met. Some deadline finally gets set and a patch work
26 > > job happens to meet THE DATE.
27 >
28 > We know what we're building and have clear goals. Those goals have been
29 > specified on this list by Daniel in the past.
30 past day, week, month, year? He has had about 4 posts here in the last 6
31 months. Why isn't the QA guy demanding a list of packages to be included?
32 >
33 > With minor exceptions, _those goals are met_.
34
35 What exceptions? Why the sudden panic then?
36 >
37 > However, you're now suggesting _entirely new_ goals that _do not fit_
38 > with the schedule already in mind. Marketing is irrelevant - a few
39 > people said "Do you think we'll be ready for LWESF?" and I said "Yes." I
40 > intend to follow up on that, now that our goals are either met or about
41 > to be met. There is no 'THE DATE' that we absolutely must adhere to.
42 > Instead, I'm telling you that there is no technical way we can go with
43 > gcc 3.3 and openssl 0.9.7 in stable keywords without waiting a
44 > significantly long period of time while work is done in those areas.
45 Now above you say there is a deadline and here you say there isn't. I can't
46 see how you can say I am describing new goals when you can't point me to a
47 document which states what the current goals are. There is no QA as noone
48 can trace a specification pass back to a specified requirement. I've
49 digressed into QA but thats actually what the total process should be about.
50
51 > > > This is not viable. The tree is not gcc3.3-ready and OpenSSL 0.9.7
52 > > > needs a much more mature upgrade path, otherwise there will be serious
53 > > > breakage (you need to remerge wget without ssl support, then merge the
54 > > > new openssl, then rebuild everything depending on it currently).
55 > >
56 > > The OpenSSL upgrade is really ready, it just that the whole tree needs a
57 > > rebuild which is time consumming. You have to break the cycle sooner or
58 > > later. Seems to me one solution is to release a binary version of 1.4
59 > > build with the latest OpenSSL goes someway to ease that upgrade. Users
60 > > can get a
61 >
62 > Certainly, new stage1 and stage2 installs would have no problem - they
63 > haven't done an emerge system yet. A stage3 with openssl 0.9.7 would
64 > have no problem. Existing users or people using old stage3s would be
65 > screwed. We need a better upgrade path for that in order to avoid the
66 > kind of "patch work job" you described earlier.
67 >
68 > With regards to 'breaking the cycle,' we need functionality in Portage
69 > that either allows the ebuild to directly run revdep-rebuild or
70 > incorporate revdep-rebuild into Portage (or preferably real reverse
71 > dependencies, which will come in Portage 2.1 last I heard).
72 Ok, now this is good. All that is needed is to write these points down and
73 pretty soon you will end up with a requirement document that everyone can
74 understand, identify where they can be of most use and a check list you can
75 tick off when each thing is done. Now the project is managed! It really is
76 simple but because it is tedious, for a good designer, it is somewhat boring.
79 > > working basic system maybe with kde and gnome desktops then add or
80 > > rebuild at their own pace. New takers have no problems as they are
81 > > current. GCC is a slightly different problem but not as large. I guess
82 > > it could be solved putting different versions of GCC in slots. Glibc is
83 > > pretty well there and doesn't seem to have any problems that I have
84 > > noticed.
85 >
86 > SLOTs are irrelevant to the GCC issue. The GCC issue is that the tree is
87 > not ready for it. Many applications will not build and there are many,
88 > many unsolved problems and weird issues that people can't track down.
89 > GCC 3.3 is not production ready and I, for one, am not interested in
90 > pushing people to release a broken compiler on the masses for the sake
91 > of saying "we're up to date!" - can you please justify pushing GCC 3.3
92 > before it's ready?
93
94 I don't need too. I'm not a gentoo developer, I just help where I can, when
95 I can. What you should be telling me is here is a url of the number of
96 packages that won't build with gcc3.3 in portage and here is another list
97 that we are not sure of. Have that in an easy to find location then things
98 can start to happen. It's all very well to say things are as broken as SCO's
99 kernel code but all I can say is, show me the list and I will see what I can
100 do to fix some of it. :)
103 > That's not too many for an August deadline: I'm not sure where you got
104 > that idea. They'll be ready at the same time because it makes sense for
105 > them to be ready at the same time to have a uniform release. There is no
106 > reason _not_ to release them at the same time.
107
108 Great but not visible.
109 >
110 > If a specific arch leads decides they're not ready for a 1.4 release,
111 > they won't be released. I'm not going to mandate that archs that aren't
112 > ready have a release, but I'm not going to refuse to release what's
113 > ready, either.
114
115 Your the release guy, your call seems reasonable.
118 > Marketinng Dept? We have nothing to gain from 'marketing' except for
119 > providing a superior product to users. I am sorry that providing a
120 > superior product to users and attempting to avoid any inconvienence to
121 > users does not fit with what you would like. I am not willing to push
122 > gcc 3.3 yet because it breaks for a lot of people; I am not willing to
123 > push openssl 0.9.7 out of package.mask because many people will have
124 > broken systems without a better upgrade path. I am sorry that you do not
125 > understand QA.
126
127 Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You can't point to 1 record that
128 confirms anything your designing. I have been a designer for ISO9001
129 approved companies for the last 10 years, before that to Mil and other
130 telecom standards, please give me a break.
133 > > > > These are just really fundementals but until the requirements are
134 > > > > documented things will never really come together.
135 > > > >
136 > > > > Get things out in the open. Gentoo-core is probably the worst idea
137 > > > > someone ever came up with, OSS development is meant to be a very
138 > > > > transparent process. Make it transparent. I know there are always
139 > > > > private issues but if they involve more than 3 people then perhaps
140 > > > > they should be public.
141 > > >
142 > > > We are making it transparent by discussing development on gentoo-dev.
143 > >
144 > > Don't tell me, someone woke up this morning and formed a new management
145 > > structure, honest :) You know you need this transparent as it is the
146 > > only hope of it getting done in time. It's not a big deal for me
147 > > actually, it's just that of ppl where primed and ready for the
148 > > announcement you would be more than halfway towards meeting the
149 > > objectives.
150 >
151 > Can you explain what you mean here? Getting what done
152 > in time? Which announcement? Which objectives?
153 Your asking me? Shit I'm not running the project, your meant to know all
154 those answers.
157 > > Anyway, from another comment it is impossible to define goals for Gentoo
158 > > therefore I would submit it is impossible to have a 1.4 release. I have
159 > > no problems with that, marketing probably does though.
160 >
161 > Now you're really grasping at straws. Can you tell me which comment says
162 > that it's impossible to define goals for Gentoo?
163 Can you point to any document that defines Gentoo 1.4?
166 > What marketing? The fact that I said that it'd be nice to have something
167 > to hand out on CDs to people for LWESF so they can go home and install
168 > Gentoo suddenly means everything we do is based on marketing?
169
170 Ecveryone has marketing whether they know it or not. You just described a
171 part of marketing.
172 >
173 > I apologize for all of us for trying to provide you, the users, with a
174 > superior product, good QA, and convienent upgrades.
175 I think it is already established that you have no QA in the design sense.
176 Bugs are handled pretty well, product is good, ego is a little on the high
177 side, so in general thanks for a job well done. Hey QA ain't everything, I'm
178 the first to admit that, I'm just happy Gentoo is QAed to death like debian.
179
180 tony
181 --
182 Contract ASIC and FPGA design.