From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DEVFS
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:39:53
1 On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:30:57PM -0500, Jerry A! wrote:
2 > Has anyone gotten devfs working under any version of Gentoo? If so,
3 > would someone care to share some pointers.
4 >
5 > Right now, it boots, gets as far as "starting local" and then hangs.
6 >
7 > Any pointers would be appreciated...
8
9 I have it working, although I hacked-in the support on my dev box rather
10 than using our "official" method.
11
12 I compiled a kernel with devfs support, and enabled the auto-mount on boot
13 option. Then, I created an rc script to run "/sbin/devfsd /dev" on boot and
14 "killall devfsd" on shutdown. Then, I configured it to start up in runlevel 0,
15 in position 03 (in /etc/rc.d/rcboot.d, right after "pretty"). It looks like
16 an older script on cvs started it in runlevel 1, maybe that's the problem?
17 Make sure you've installed the most recent version of sys-apps/devfsd, and
18 then remove any devfsd symlink that may exist in /etc/rc.d/rc1.d.
19
20 Best Regards,
23 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
24 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org