From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:20:02
Mivz <mivz <at>> writes:

> Then I have got this one question, I don't need a answer too. > > How free is free software if you need a lawyer and a expensive server > just to be able to publish your addition under your own name?
This is free as in *freedom*. GPL says that you cannot restrict the freedom of other people. So, ditributing the modified, GPL-ed programs without the access to the source code with said modifications restrict others from seeing how it was achieved and tinkering with the code (i.e. improving it more). Sorry, but there's no free lunch (as in *beer). If you build upon the work of others and it happens that this work is under GPL, then you either must behave (give access to the source code) or write your own version of the software from the ground. And compiling a distro from the source code and creating a binary download, CDs, upgrades, etc. *is* a derivative work IMHO. The same is for single packages that are under GPL. I mean, if someone is able to create its own web page and put a binary download(s) of its work, then how hard is it to comply with the GPL license and just put some more links to the source code? It's like the (old?/new?) Decalogue: "You shall not steal". Read this: "Richard Stallman, interviewed at GPLv3 Conference in Barcelona, by Sean Daly" The interesting thing starts at 07:36 of the transcript. Also read this, if you haven't done so before: Cheers, Wiktor Wandachowicz (SirYes) PS. Sorry for the noise, but I thought this issue needed clarification. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GPL and Source code providing Mivz <mivz@×××××××××××××.net>