From: Louis-Philippe Brochu <lpbrochu@×××××××××.ca>
To: sbw@×××××××.org
Cc: absinthe@×××××.com, coolvibe@××××××××××××.org, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage irk...
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:07:19
1 > The simplest way to take care of it is to run an emerge -up and then
2 > perform an emerge inject for any packages that would be downgraded. This
3 > will prevent it from happening on this merge and on into the future --
4 > until another version of the package is released.
5
6 I've never tried this because i heard that it cause some problems later...
7 i think when the real packages are updated or something like that... Is it
8 a safe method?
9
10 > Aside from that, you're going to have to sit tight. You are, after all,
11 > running development packages and as such have taken on the added burden
12 > associated with that choice.
13
14 I don't agree with you on this one, if i was modifying the package.mask
15 file for experimental/broken packages (like i do sometimes) i would
16 understand. However for unstable package that are part of Gentoo i don't
17 understand why i would have an added burden. Stable and unstable packages
18 are standard function in Gentoo so i don't think it's an excuse to lack
19 the functionnality to handle them well. Debian doens't restrict you for
20 this, neither does Red Hat or Suse, etc... Especially in the case of
21 Gentoo that defines itself as a bleeding edge distro. I just want to say
22 that i understand that developers don't have time to implement all the
23 functions at once but i think that it's not a normal behavior in it should
24 be fixed in the future...
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list