From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Enemy Territory and Gentoo
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:19:41
1 On Monday 22 September 2003 23:47, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 >
3 > The bigger issue, is that late 2.5 and now 2.6 kernels do not allow
4 > you to replace system calls (something needed for a module like this).
5 > This will then either force us to not use this for 2.6, or hack the
6 > kernel, which will really limit the user. On another note - I do not
7 > know if the new API and hooks added for the security modules might
8 > enable us to have the same end result as hooking system calls with
9 > our own would have done ...
12 The approach I am thinking about should not replace system calls. It should
13 provide a separate filesystem driver similar to the bind mount driver. But
14 kernel modules have indeed that big disadvantage. It could only be optional.
15
16 Paul
19 Paul de Vrieze
20 Gentoo Developer