From: Gareth Davies <grmd@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Comments about install guide
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:50:03
1 Hi,
2
3 I have recently been installing using the 1.4 iso image. I have two comments
4 resulting from this ... the first is relates to unmounting the partitions
5 before reboot. I also needed to unmount /mnt/gentoo/proc before I was able
6 to unmount /mnt/gentoo.
7
8 The second comment is borne of my inability to get my system operating
9 correctly with the built kernel. I have been repeatedly swapping between
10 booting from CD and booting from the hard disk. A huge amount of time can
11 be saved if the kernel from the CD is copied into /mnt/gentoo/boot and the
12 modules directory tree into /mnt/gentoo/lib/modules, then adding an extra
13 entry to /mnt/gentoo/boot/grub/menu.lst to allow the CD kernel to be
14 selected.
15
16 This is advantageous since the CD does not need to be used in order to fix
17 problems with the built kernel. I think it might prove helpful to many
18 people to include this fail-safe step in the installation guide.
19
20 Best regards,
21
22 Gareth.
26 Gareth Davies, Lotwillow Ltd. 'Always' and 'never' are two words you
27 Tel. +44 1344 294900 should always remember never to use.
28 Fax. +44 1344 294902 - M. Kendig