From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: glibc-2.13 news item?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 06:25:58
1 Francesco R posted on Wed, 09 Feb 2011 13:32:36 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > 2011/2/9 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
4 >
5 >> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 09:52:55 +0100
6 >> "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > It seems that with glibc-2.13 there are some serious compatibility
9 >> > issues. [H]ow about creating news item with detailed
10 >> > instructions how to ensure smooth glibc-2.13 update or recover a
11 >> > hosed system?
12 >>
13 >> We've blocked prelink in the ebuild so if a user is able to sync
14 >> they're either not going to be affected or already have been.
15 >>
16 >> Also I've the strong suspect that these changes:
17 >
18 > * New optimized string functions for x86-64: strnlen (SSE2),
19 > strcasecmp (SSE2, SSSE3, SSE4.2), strncasecmp (SSE2, SSSE3, SSE4.2)
20 > Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.
21 >
22 > Interact badly with strong optimizations like [snip]
23
24 FYI... If you aren't deliberately modding the glibc ebuild, disabling its
25 strippers, it strips most CFLAGS specifically for glibc only, due to
26 problems they've had in the past with over-optimization and because if it
27 breaks, the whole system does, so they want to be somewhat conservative.
28
29 Basically, with the glibc ebuild you're stripped down to the -march/mtune
30 setting, -O2 and -pipe. Pretty much everything else is stripped, as I
31 said, unless you're running a customized ebuild with the stripping code
32 disabled.
33
34 As you didn't mention you were, I'll assume you aren't. You should of
35 course be able to check your logs and see what CFLAGS were actually used
36 in the compile, if there's any doubt.
37
38 Of course, if you are modding the ebuild, disabling the stripping, then
39 yes, for sure, don't file bugs on it! But you didn't /say/ you modified
40 it, and people who disable that stripping aren't the sorts of folks the
41 news items are written for anyway as they're /entirely/ on their own, so
42 it's not like that'd be a concern, here.
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman