From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:59:54
1 On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 12:46:49AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > | > The existing syntax is just as extensible. Up the EABI revision, and
3 > | > start adding new syntax as needed.
4 > |
5 > | EAPI has nothing to do with the consistency of the syntax. Getting it
6 > | once right, is what you usually call for. I prefer clean data
7 > | structures.
8 >
9 > The proposed syntax is cleaner than shoving arbitrary stuff inside
10 > [bleh]. Any new [role:] tags will require an EABI bump anyway, so
11 > there's no reason to stick to your proposed syntax to avoid future
12 > backwards compatibility breaks.
13 Expanding a bit...
14
15 Via eapi, if we wanted to throw out the syntax down the line we could.
16
17 Not saying it's a great idea, but EAPI exists to provide immediate
18 transition to incompatible changes instead of the usual "work out a
19 semi backwards compatible way, don't use it for 6 months, then deal
20 with the bugs".
21 ~harring