From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 16:19:48
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:36 AM Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I do think it would be a wise idea to "grandfather" the current layout
7 > > for awhile.
10 > I don't see why we would ever stop supporting it, at least in general.
11 > Maybe if some day somebody had a solution for a read-only /usr with
12 > signature checking that might require portage to be mounted elsewhere,
13 > but I don't ever see that becoming the default.
14 >
15 > Portage just looks for the repository where you tell it to. If you
16 > tell it that the repository is in /var, it will use it. If you put it
17 > in /tmp, that's fine too.
20 +1 to this. The challenge (in moving it) is that its been "/usr/portage"
21 for a long time so many tools
22 may have hard coded this location; as opposed to querying portage for where
23 the tree is, e.g.:
24
25 PORTDIR=$(portageq get_repo_path / gentoo)
26
27 -A
30 > This is just about the default, which should follow FHS. The case of
31 > separate mounts is exactly why /usr is a bad spot - the access
32 > patterns for something like the repository have far more in common
33 > with /var than /usr.
36 > Rich