From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Maintainer needed: dev-db/sqlite
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 23:59:27
1 > On 14 Jan 2022, at 23:10, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 >> The current (proxied) maintainer is somewhat difficult to work with
5 >
6 > Why is Arfrever being treated so bad here? To me, it looks like
7 > you're the one who is difficult to work with. :\
10 floppym is not obligated to work with somebody if he finds it
11 difficult.
14 > Jakov Smolić wrote:
15 >> From what I've investigated, other major distributions don't apply
16 >> any similar patches which means that we are likely to stop carrying
17 >> most (or even all) of the current patches.
18 >
19 > What kind of silly groupthink is this? I expect Gentoo to champion choice.
20
21 Adding in a huge heap of patches which exceed the tree limits, have
22 no justification within them, and nobody else needs is a good reason
23 to dump them.
24
25 If someone actually wants them, that's another matter.
26
27 Even if they are being kept, justification for them should be made
28 so that others know why we're doing it, why it's worth rebasing them,
29 why we're changing the default behaviour of SQLite, ...
30
31 (This is all worth doing anyway, but Gentoo, if we're going to do
32 tropes, also doesn't like to deviate from upstream without
33 justification.)
34
35 Please don't bring out this cliched "choice" trope just because
36 we're discussing something. Obviously if they're actually useful
37 in an application, we can talk about keeping them.
41 > Mike Gilbert wrote:
42 >> There is an open QA bug [1] regarding the large set of undocumented
43 >> patches that are being applied in the stable ebuilds.
44 >
45 > Arfrever is active in the bug you linked, has provided explanations
46 > for the patches and prepared to restructure the patches so that they
47 > can be gated by local USE flags, has made several different concrete
48 > suggestions for possible implementations and requested feedback, but
49 > has received no reply in the bug and instead there's now this
50 > backstabbing discussion on this list.
53 You've missed discussions on IRC and some of the bugs _have_
54 gone unanswered (in particular https://bugs.gentoo.org/825278 <https://bugs.gentoo.org/825278>
55 which started this all off).
56
57 Also, we were waiting several months for new SQLite which
58 blocked security bumps for e.g. seamonkey.
59
60 He has also received replies on the bug.
61
62 > Really?
65 You've intervened in something where you don't know all the
66 circumstances, including the history of the contributor,
67 with an aggressive tone. Really?
68
69 sam