From: Andrey Grozin <grozin@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] musl, sbcl, and ros
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 05:11:21
1 Hello *,
2
3 The sbcl upstream only supports glibc Linux systems. Building sbcl uses
4 sbcl binary (which fails to run on musl) to compile sbcl sources.
5
6 In principle, one can try a workaround: use some other lisp (say, clisp or
7 ecl) as the bootstrap lisp. This way is at best brittle: there is no
8 guarantee that these external lisps will compile the sbcl sources
9 successfully. People say that sometimes this works.
10
11 No user of musl profiles could successfully emerge sbcl from time
12 -infinity to the present moment. The natural solution is to pmask sbcl in
13 musl profiles.
14
15 So I've done. But this leads to unexpected consequences. dev-ros/roslisp
16 hard depends on sbcl. ros-meta/ros_core hard depends on roslisp.
17 ros-meta/ros_base hard depends on ros_core.
18 ros-meta/{perception,robot,viz} hard depend on ros_core. Maybe, more
19 packages depend on {perception,robot,viz}, I haven't checked.
20
21 This means that no user of the musl profiles has ever been able to emerge
22 all these packages (because they did not have sbcl). And all these
23 packages should be pmasked in the musl profiles.
24
25 Before doing this drastic change I decided to ask for your advice. Should
26 I go forward and pmask them now? Or maybe for some of them the dependence
27 on sbcl can be made optional, and it would be sufficient to use.mask such
28 an option name? Or maybe roslisp can use some other lisp instead of sbcl?
29
30 Andrey