From: Justin Whitney <ripple.gentoo@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 05:05:20
1 I think some or all of Mandrake's install system is under GPL as well,
2 so you might want to check that out.
3
4 --Justin
5
6 On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 19:04, Jeff Rose wrote:
7 > Hello,
8 > I'm pretty new to gentoo, but I am an instant convert. Just a
9 > few months of emerge bliss and now I'm an avid supporter. Anyway, I'm
10 > thinking about starting a summer project and I'm pondering the idea of a
11 > gui installer. I've been looking around a bit and it doesn't look like
12 > anyone is working on one. Is that true? If there isn't already a project
13 > then I think I'll give it a whirl. I know, I know, gentoo is so great
14 > because it allows you to customize and tweak the hell out of everything.
15 > That is completely true. So, an installer would have to allow just as
16 > much but it could take care of the mundane details for those who aren't
17 > interested or knowledgable enough.
18 > I haven't been around to see what people discuss in terms of the
19 > installer so I'm sorry if this is all stuff that you have gone over
20 > hundreds of times. Even more minimal than a gui installer, have you
21 > thought about adding more scripts to do the standard directory setup,
22 > download, chroot... type of stuff?
23 > What do you think?
24 >
25 > -Jeff