From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] SPF at g.o
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:33:40
1 Facts:
2 a) current SPF TXT record of our domain is "v=spf1 mx ptr ?all"
3 b) I use my own MTA to send my @g.o messages.
4 c) Probably I am not the only one who does that
5
6 I've just evaluated SPF support in spamassassin and I've discovered that
7 SPF_NEUTRAL has a big fat score of 1.1.
8 I don't know about you guys & gals, but I'm not used to have
9 spamassassin scores > 1 assigned to messages sent by me. Yes, I know, it
10 is only a statistical score, but if SPF_NEUTRAL has such a big
11 probability of being spam, that could only means it is used more by
12 spammers than honest folks. Btw, I don't think SPF's failure to become a
13 industry standard is a secret to anyone.
14
15 Conclusion:
16 The proper TXT record for our domain would be "v=spf1 +all", which
17 translates (according to http://new.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax ) as
18 "the domain owner thinks that SPF is useless". And it really is useless,
19 at the very least for our widespread organization.