From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:39:50
1 Nick Devito wrote:
2 > It wouldn't be a hard task to accomplish (to put the sources on the
3 > mirrors), since *most* of the source is already on the mirrors in some
4 > form or another. We could make an option when downloading the livecd to
5 > either download ones with the sources included, or without, and, include
6 > links to download the tarballs used in making that release. And yes, it
7 > would be very trivial compared to violating the GPL. That's just me...
8
9 Why should we put the sources on every mirrors at all?
10
11 Those sources packages will be much less downloaded, 4 sure put them
12 only in _one_ place over the internet will suffice.
13
14 <snip>
15
16 <snip>
17 >>>> Creating an ISO isn't a problem (assuming you have the sources, which
18 >>>> for historical releases might be a problem), but it would require
19 >>>> another several hundred megabytes per release on the mirrors which isn't
20 >>>> exactly a trivial amount.
21
22 <snip>
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list