From: Viktor Lakics <lakicsv@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [[gentoo-dev] Upcoming LyX ebuild - design questions]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 06:19:06
1 Hi Dan,
2
3 I have just joined to the gentoo users camp couple of days ago(unfortunately
4 I am not a programmer so bear with me in the development list). I regularly
5 use lyx for scientific docs (under Debian)
6
7 IMHO, lyx should force tetex-latex, without it it basically does nothing (this
8 is a frontend to latex). (There are better word processors, but not
9 typesetting programs).
10
11 The important utilities gv, ghostscript and some other basic outputters can be
12 a separate package and all the rest could go to a misc. lyx package which
13 dependent on the first two.
16 I think Lyx is still a typesetting program in spirit, so it should live under
17 apps-text.
18
19 I am looking forward to install your ebuild and start using lyx under gentoo
20 as well (whatever design decision you make:-))
23 Regards Viktor
24
25 Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il> wrote:
26 > Hi all,
27 >
28 > I'm about to post my LyX ebuild, which depends on the gv and Xaw3d ebuilds I
29
30 > posted earlier.
31 >
32 > There are however some design questions I'd like to clear up first:
33 >
34 > LyX is a word processor based on LaTeX, a very good one IMHO. LyX can make
35 > use of a great number of packages, but it can also do withuot them. Which of
36
37 > the following package groups should the LyX ebuild depend on?
38 >
39 > 1. Absolutely necessary packages: x11 & gtk.
40 > 2. latex2e and a few other things, all of which are in tetex. Lyx can build
41
42 > and run without these, but it'd be just a flashy text editor without any
43 > output capabilities.
44 > 3. Important utilities like ghostscipt and gv, to use for viewing your
45 output.
46 > 4. A _very_ large amount of third-party exporters, importers, converters and
47
48 > viewers. Enables you to output in many formats etc.
49 > 5. A few misc tex packages like the one for Hebrew support (which I use)
50 that
51 > aren't included in tetex.
52 >
53 > Which of these should the ebuild force (i.e. DEPEND on)?
54 >
55 > An idea: building a lyx-base ebuild which only depends on x11/gtk and a lyx
56
57 > ebuild which does nothing but depends on lyx-bsae, tetex and everything
58 else.
59 > Maybe with another in-between stage (i.e. a lyx-utils ebuild).
60 >
61 > What do you think?
62 >
63 > ----
64 >
65 > Another issue: whould Lyx go into app-text (as a latex frontend) or into
66 > app-office (as a word processor)?
67 >
68 > ----
69 >
70 > And finally: does anybody here except myself use LyX? Because I can't
71 > understand how such a great distro cold live so long without this
72 > all-important package. :-)
76 > Dan
79 > gentoo-dev mailing list
80 > gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org