From: Chad Huneycutt <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Braindump wrt fakeroot and path sandboxing
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:45:35
1 Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
2
3 > For those who're not up to date on this subject, the reason why we want a
4 > combination of subterfugue's SimplePathSandbox and fakeroot is that
5 > 1) We don't want ebuilds to write outside of ${S}, /tmp or ${D}
6 > 2) We really don't want to run the ebuilds as the real root, if we can
7 > fake it,
8 > hence fakeroot. (Fakeroot lets the ebuild think it runs as root; in
9 > practice
10 > this infers chown-privileges to a regular user).
11 > 3) We do not want to use subterfugue since it's too slow. Fakeroot seems
12 > to have
13 > some features that are overkill for this project, and at any rate, we
14 > really
15 > only want to do syscall tracing once. (The alternative would be a
16 > sandbox
17 > process that contained fakeroot that contained the ebuild...)
18
19 I am sure I have heard the argument, but I can't remember it. Is there
20 a reason other than (2) that we can't just do a chroot to the image
21 directory?
24 Chad Huneycutt
25 Ph.D. Student
26 http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~chadh