From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo: static/dynamic linking libraries
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 21:51:25
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:54:12 +0200
3 > "Jakub Moc" <jakub.moc@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 4/29/07, Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> I'm now using gentoo with EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-static" for a
6 >>> while and it seems quite stable. Sometimes I encounter a package
7 >>> that won't build with this setting, but that's a rare occasion. At
8 >>> the moment this packages are for me:
9 >>> dev-libs/libpcre
10 >> Disabling static libs in libpcre makes sys-apps/grep w/ USE=pcre bomb
11 >> out on compile... Just an example why you should always install both
12 >> of them.
13 >
14 > No, that's an example of why you should sometimes install both.
17 Open Question part:
18
19 Since I don't have any thing other than Gentoo : does anyone know how
20 other distros handle static libs in their -dev packages? Does anyone
21 care about static libs except for maybe really really low level stuff?
22
23 My Opinion part:
24
25 I'd definitely would like to see them leave my system for good as I have
26 no use for 99% of them whatsoever.
27
28 Open Question part:
29
30 Could some FEATURE disable static libs building by default in desktop
31 profiles, with some (like the 5 packages Roman pointed out) using
32 something like a RESTRICT?
33
34 (These questions are really not meant to be inflammatory and they are
35 honest questions as I'm learning the trade here. Yet, if I'm way off,
36 please let me know :) )
37
38 Cheers,
39